by Yael Adar
This salad recipe is an adaptation of a recipe that I first tasted at a friend’s house. The dressing is purely my invention and the combination of pomegranates in the salad and the fig dressing make this a very festive salad. I recently served this on Rosh Hashanah with great success.
1 head red leaf lettuce (or your favorite lettuce and mixed greens)
3 medium cucumbers
½ cup pomegranate seeds
1. Wash and dry the lettuce, (greens), and scallions.
2. Slice the lettuce and scallions and place in a large bowl.
3. Chop the cucumbers (if they are large variety with many seeds, remove the seeds). Add the cucumbers to the bowl.
4. Cut the pomegranate in half and remove the seeds, making sure to remove the thin white membranes.
Fig Dressing Ingredients:
2 large fresh figs
4-6 Tbsp. Olive Oil
4 Tbsp. Balsamic Vinegar
½ tsp. Dijon mustard
Freshly ground pepper, to taste
Garlic powder, to taste
1. Chop the figs and place in a small food processor (with metal blade), or blender.
2. Add oil vinegar and,mustard.
3. Process until you get a uniform mixture that has, a thick consistency.
4. Add spices and blend.
5. Adjust seasoning.
6. Add the dressing to salad, just before you serve it.